Match Report: Chesterfield v Blackpool
1st March 2016
... Comments

Spireites Brittle in Blackpool Battle.

Chesterfield claimed a point against Blackpool following a 1-1 draw at the Proact Stadium on Tuesday night. Brad Potts provided a second-half lead for the away side, but Jay O'Shea's thunderous effort ensured a share of the spoils prior to David Ferguson's late dismissal.  

Danny Wilson named an unchanged side from Saturday's victory at Gillingham for this particular encounter.  

In the opening moments, Uche Ikpeazu connected with a driven cross and headed wide of the post by a matter of inches. Gboly Ariyibi broke free of the defence and delivered at speed, but a last-ditch attempt on the six-yard line from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake went wide.  

Maintaining the pressure, Ariyibi took matters into his own hands with an individual run which culminated in a forceful strike that struck the post. At the other end, Potts tried his luck from range and replicates the American winger in being denied by the post. 

Continuing to cause problems, Ikpeazu became involved with a first-time strike which forced a diving save to the right-hand side from Tommy Lee. Ariyibi found space and fed the ball underneath the goalkeeper, but an opposing defender was located on the line to clear the danger.  

Just before the half-time whistle, Lee Novak picked up possession before firing against the body of a resolute defender.  

After the break, O'Shea's first involvement acted as a wayward effort from around 25 yards which sailed straight into the stands. On 54 minutes, the visitors opened the scoring as a powerful strike from Potts sailed past Lee with the assistance of a deflection.  

Four minutes later, the Spireites levelled the scoreline courtesy of O'Shea's stunning strike from distance which nestled straight into the top right-hand corner of the net. Potts looked for a second with another close-range effort, but the ball bounced low and wide of the post.  

During the closing stages of this contest, Ferguson was dismissed after committing a second bookable offence and this placed pressure on Wilson's men to push forward. For the full four minutes of additional time, the Spireites continued to push but to no avail and ultimately settled for a share of the points. 

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories