Match Report: Buxton v Chesterfield
11th July 2015
... Comments

Spireites Defeat Buxton.

Chesterfield sealed a convincing 4-0 victory against Buxton at the Silverlands in their second pre-season friendly of 2015. Daniel Jones and Jay O’Shea contributed individually with their first-half strikes, whilst academy product Jake Orrell and Emmanuel Dieseruvwe netted in the second period to claim another win for the Spireites.

In the opening moments, Gboly Ariyibi latched onto Dan Gardner's lofted through-ball and instantly crossed towards Sylvan Ebanks-Blake who fired straight into the arms of the opposing goalkeeper from close range. Sam Clucas made his way down the left-hand side and put a low ball across the face of goal, which made its way towards Gardner who struck first-time but ultimately failed to hit the target. 

Waiting inside the area, Gardner eventually connected with Sam Morsy's irresistible cross from the right-hand side and forced an extremely impressive save from Phil Barnes who then prepared to instigate a rare attack for the home side. With 25 minutes on the clock, the Spireites took the lead through an unlikely source in the form of Jones as the left-back advanced towards goal before rifling the ball straight in the direction of Barnes, who fumbled the attempt into his own net.

In an advanced position, Morsy aimed to get in on the act with an ambitious attempt from distance, although the midfielder failed to trouble the opposing goalkeeper as the ball sailed high and wide of the crossbar. On 37 minutes, the Spireites doubled their advantage courtesy of O'Shea who evaded his marker and unleashed a thunderous effort from just inside the area that made its way past a flailing Barnes.

Just before the half-time whistle, substitute Orrell received a short pass on the edge of the hosts' penalty area before turning and firing straight into the arms of Barnes. 

Immediately after the break, Orrell added Chesterfield's third goal of the evening with a smart finish from close range after receiving an intricate pass from half-time substitute Armand Gnanduillet. Involved once again, Orrell picked up possession on the edge of the area before turning and directing the ball wide of the post when expected to hit the target. 

A driven cross from the right-hand side found the head of Dieseruvwe, whose powerful effort was cleared off the line by an extremely alert member of the home side's defence. On the hour mark, Dieseruvwe netted Chesterfield's fourth goal of the evening after his lone run culminated in a low shot that nestled into the bottom left-hand corner of the net and beat Barnes all-ends-up. 

Ollie Banks then took matters into his own hands with an individual run that preceded a ferocious attempt from around 25 yards that sailed narrowly wide of the post with Barnes firmly rooted to the spot. In the closing stages, Rai Simons attempted an overhead-kick near the penalty spot and directed the ball out of the stadium as the Spireites sealed a second consecutive pre-season victory within the space of just two days. 

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories