Match Report: Bury v Chesterfield
13th December 2015
... Comments

Spireites Defeated by Bury.

Chesterfield fell to a 1-0 defeat against Bury at Gigg Lane on Saturday afternoon. Daniel Mayor’s second-half strike acted as the difference between the two sides, in a game which was contested until the very end.

Mark Smith made two alterations from last week's FA Cup second-round tie against Walsall, as Ollie Banks and Emmanuel Dieseruvwe took the places of Jay O'Shea and Lee Novak.

In the opening moments, Daniel Rose met a low pass inside the area before firing straight in the direction of Tommy Lee who saved with relative ease. Joe Dodoo took matters into his own hands with a lone run that culminated in a forceful strike that cannoned against the body of Charlie Raglan.

With the Spireites’ defence under serious pressure, the home side struck the post twice as individual efforts from Tom Soares and Mayor were denied within a matter of seconds by the woodwork. Dodoo connected with a driven cross and once again, a member of Bury's attack fired against the post with Lee helpless in that particular situation.

Waiting inside the area, Nathan Cameron attempted an over-head kick after a lofted pass fell kindly for the defender who failed to trouble Lee on this occasion. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake met Dieseruvwe’s knock-down before unleashing a powerful effort that was pushed to safety by Daniel Bachmann.

Just before the half-time whistle, Sam Morsy took up possession and advanced before forcing an impressive diving save from Bachmann.

After the break, O'Shea tried his luck from the edge of the area and Bachmann produced a simple save prior to instigating another attack for his side. Dieseruvwe latched onto Morsy's through-ball and struck with force, but failed to trouble Bachmann who held with relative ease.

Following a failed clearance on Cameron’s behalf, O'Shea’s first-time volley evaded the crossbar by a matter of inches as part of a positive start to the second period for the Spireites. On 69 minutes, Mayor opened the scoring with a convincing one-on-one finish past a helpless Lee and into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

As the contest entered its closing stages, Dan Gardner picked up possession before directing the ball straight into the stands from around 20 yards. Deep into the three minutes of additional time, Ian Evatt produced a volley after a lofted pass fell kindly for the defender but Bachmann stood firm by producing a magnificent one-handed save.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories