Match Report: Blackpool v Chesterfield
30th September 2015
... Comments

Spireites Defeated in Third Consecutive Fixture.

Chesterfield fell to their third consecutive defeat against Blackpool at Bloomfield Road by a 2-0 scoreline on Tuesday night. Mark Cullen's first-half opener and Brad Potts's second-half strike sealed a rare home victory for the Tangerines.

Dean Saunders made a total of two changes for this particular encounter, as Chris Herd and Ollie Banks took the places of Drew Talbot and Gboly Ariybi.

With just two minutes on the clock, Cullen opened the scoring after capitalising on a loose ball inside the area and firing past a helpless Tommy Lee. At the other end, Banks intercepted a wayward back-pass and looked certain to score, only to attempt a pull-back which failed to reach its intended target.

Moments later, Jay O'Shea took matters into his own hands with an individual run that was cut short by a perfectly-timed challenge on behalf of an opposing defender near the 18-yard line. Cullen broke free and went one-on-one with Lee, but failed at the final hurdle as his underwhelming effort was palmed to safety.

After receiving the ball deep into the home side's half of the field, Banks turned and struck before watching his attempt sail straight into the stands. Sam Hird met a driven corner-kick and directed his headed effort narrowly wide of Colin Doyle's post.

Just before the half-time whistle, Jack Redshaw struck first-time and forced an impressive one-handed save from Lee.

After the break, Dan Gardner tried his luck from just outside the area and was denied by Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's unintentional block near the penalty spot. Sam Morsy picked up possession and advanced unchallenged prior to curling the ball narrowly wide of the post.

On 67 minutes, the home side doubled their advantage on the counter-attack as Potts latched onto a neat through-ball and finished calmly past a stranded Lee. With play back underway, Jim McAlister evaded his marker before striking straight in the direction of Lee who saved with relative ease.

As the game entered its closing stages, the most inviting opportunity fell to Ebanks-Blake who took one touch and directed the ball wide of the post from the short distance of just eight yards. For the full three minutes of additional time, Blackpool retained possession successfully and claimed their first home victory since January.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories