European Women's Under 17 Championship
9th December 2013
... Comments
Germany beat Spain on penalties in the final after a 1-1 draw in Chesterfield.
Spain took an early lead in this final, after Patricia Guijarro's superb effort evaded Vivien Brandt in the Germany goal. With five minutes left to play, the Germans equalised through Isabella Hartig, sending the game to penalties. 
With eight minutes played, Spain opened the scoring. Guijarro gathered the ball with her chest and volleyed the ball straight into the bottom left-hand corner of the net. 
The goal gave the Spaniards extra impetus, with Germany pegged back in their own half of the field. Nina Ehegötz held onto the ball for far too long and eventually Spain cleared the danger. 
On 22 minutes, Lisa Karl was booked for a professional foul on Mireya García Boa. The Spanish skipper, Núria Garrote, got in on the act with a curling effort from the edge of the area that just went wide of the post.
On the stroke of half-time, Saskia Matheis replaced Ricarda Walkling for Germany.
Contrary to the first period, the second began with a slow tempo. The composure on the ball from the Spaniards showed a maturity beyond their age.
Ehegötz beat two opposing defenders once again, but this time her run was halted by Pilar Garrote. García Boa then shot wide of the post from the edge of the area.
Nahikari Garcia's back-heeled effort just went wide of the post following a low cross from García Boa. With 56 minutes played, Leonie Stenzel was replaced by Hartig. 
A superb run from Garcia that deserved a goal was cut short by Matheis. A Germany corner was nearly deflected into the Spain goal by Aitana Bonmati, but luckily it just skipped wide of the post.
Garcia was involved again, only this time she failed to capitalise on a laps in concentration from Brandt. 
With five minutes left to play, Germany levelled the scoreline. Substitute Hartig neatly finished from six yards after a low cross from the right-hand side of the pitch. 
Germany sensed an opportunity to grab a late winner, although the Spanish defence held firm to take the game to penalties.
Guijarro stepped up to take the first, and calmly placed the ball to the left-hand side of Brandt. Saskia Meier was to take the second, although Elena De Toro parried her effort away from goal. García Boa had the opportunity to give Spain a two-goal lead in this shoot-out, but Brandt palmed away the low effort. The German captain, Jasmin Sehan, dispatched her penalty straight down the middle of the goal with ease.
Garcia's effort was saved by Brandt to her right-hand side. The next German penalty was finished well, then Spain missed their next kick from the spot. This set up the opportunity for Hartig to claim the  trophy for her Country, which she did to the left-hand side of De Toro, sending delight straight through the German contingent in the stadium.
*Each half played over 40 minutes.
About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories