Chesterfield FC v York City Report
23rd October 2013
... Comments
Goals from Armand Gnanduillet and Jay O’Shea rescued a point for the Spireites against York City.
In the opening stages, a slick passing move from the Spireites allowed Gary McSheffrey a chance at goal but it sailed over the bar. On 13 minutes, York’s Ben Davies picked up a yellow card for a rash challenge on Jamie Devitt.
An inviting cross from Devitt found Gnanduillet lurking in the box, but his header hit the ground and bounced over the crossbar. Sam Morsy then fired high and wide from inside the York area. A superb save from Chesterfield goalkeeper Tommy Lee followed, after Ryan Brobbel’s curling effort from range.
With 35 minutes played, the Minstermen took the lead. Luke O’neil was the scorer, as he placed his shot low and hard past Lee. Moments later, Gnanduillet headed over the bar following a looping cross from McSheffrey.
Just before the half-time whistle, the Spireites were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area. Devitt stepped up to take it, but the midfielder overhit his effort and York were awarded a goal kick.
After the restart, a cross from Ritchie Humphreys was picked up easily by York goalkeeper Mike Ingham. Another Devitt cross found Gary Roberts, although his speculative scissor-kick was cleared off the line by an opposition defender. Roberts then forced Ingham into a superb save after a curling effort from distance.
On the hour mark, York doubled their lead. From a corner, Ryan Jarvis rose above everybody and fired his header past Lee in the Chesterfield goal. Even though the Spireites had been on top in this game, they somehow found themselves two goals behind.
Minutes later, the home side were awarded a penalty after Roberts was brought down in the box. The influential winger handed the ball to Gnanduillet, who calmly finished low to the left-hand side of Ingham.
With 25 minutes to go, Eoin Doyle replaced McSheffrey. Ryan Edwards was then replaced by Jay O’Shea, as the home side took a more attacking approach to get back into this game.
Gnanduillet had the ball in the back of the net once again, but it was ruled out after a foul on a visiting defender. With 15 minutes to go, the Spireites pulled a goal back. Jay O’Shea was there to see the ball over the line after Sam Morsy’s effort at goal from a Gnanduillet cross.
Ian Evatt hit the post with a header, following a cross from Roberts. Gnanduillet’s effort then went over the bar after a succession of chances for the home side. On 80 minutes, Marc Richards replaced Gnanduillet.
In the closing stages it was all one-way traffic, as Chesterfield searched for that winning goal. O’Shea found Morsy in the box but his header went high and wide of the target. It was then announced that there would be six minutes of additional time.
In the final moments, Eoin Doyle  broke from the left and into the York area, although his effort was tame and Ingham smothered it.
A point for Chesterfield, after showing great character in the second half to overturn a two-goal deficit.
About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories