Chesterfield FC v Wycombe Wanderers Report
23rd November 2013
... Comments
Chesterfield are now unbeaten in seven games after a 2-0 victory at home to Wycombe.
The first chance of the game fell to Armand Gnanduillet, but the striker fired the ball straight into the arms of visiting goalkeeper Matt Ingram.
The beginning of the game was slightly subdued. Neither side created any clear cut chances, as both defences held firm.
Then on 32 minutes, the Spireites took the lead. Jay O’Shea’s cross found Ollie Banks in the area, who directed his header past Ingram to continue his fantastic run of form.
After the opening goal, the home side looked to keep possession and grab a hold on the contest. Stuart Lewis then fired over the crossbar from 20 yards.
On the stroke of half-time, Chesterfield doubled their advantage. A Gary Roberts corner was met by Gnanduillet, who’s bullet header gave Ingram no chance to save it.
The first period was one of very few chances, yet Chesterfield had a two-goal lead at the break.
After the restart, Steven Craig’s shot from range was saved well by Tommy Lee and cleared by the hosts’ defence. Gnanduillet then won a corner after his cross was blocked.
On 55 minutes, O’Shea was shown a yellow card for a cynical foul following a Wycombe counter-attack. Lee then palmed away a low shot that realistically he had no right to save.
Just past the hour mark, Tendayi Darikwa replaced O’Shea and recent loan signing Callum McFadzean took to the field in place of Banks.
Moments after the substitutions, there was a spell of Wycombe pressure. Josh Scowen had a long range effort that was saved comfortably by Lee.
Ex-Spireite Dean Morgan then shot low and wide of the post. Gary Doherty headed wide of the post from a corner, when he should have hit the target.
Paris Cowan-Hall wasted another opportunity for the Chairboys after shooting over the crossbar. A counter-attack led by Gnanduillet found Darikwa, who won a free-kick for his side.
Jimmy Ryan’s cross was too close to Ingram. Another Morgan effort from range was held by Lee.
Throughout the second half, the Chesterfield defence held firm. It just didn’t look as though it was going to be the visitors’ day.
It was then announced that there would be six minutes of additional time.
For the duration of time added on, there wasn’t one chance to speak of as Chesterfield maintained their position in second place after another victory.
About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories