Chesterfield FC v Southend Report
25th August 2013
... Comments

A late headed goal from Armand Gnanduillet gave the Spireites a 2-1 victory at home to Southend.

In the opening stages, Drew Talbot fired a low ball across the Southend box, but goalkeeper Daniel Bentley gathered comfortably. Striker Marc Richards then had a good opportunity, after he rounded the goalkeeper, but failed to direct his effort towards goal.

Anthony Straker was causing all sorts of problems down the left side, as Talbot struggled to deal with his attacking threat. Barry Corr then attempted a half-volley for the visitors’, but it failed to hit the target.

Freddie Eastwood managed to break away from the Spireites defence mid-way through the first half, but the reliable Liam Cooper tracked back well, and timed his tackle perfectly.

Right up to the half time whistle, the Shrimpers looked the more likely to open the scoring, although both side’s went in level at the break.

After the restart, Ritchie Humphreys had a shooting chance, but he reacted slowly, then Southend cleared the danger. Tendayi Darikwa was then introduced, replacing Humphreys, adding some extra pace going forward.

On the hour mark, there was the opening goal of the game, courtesy of a Gary Roberts free kick, which sailed straight into the top corner of the net, giving the home side a welcome lead.

Talbot then attempted the spectacular, with a volleyed effort from just outside the area, but it failed to hit the target. Moments later, in the 68th minute, Southend got their equaliser. After sustained pressure from the away side, Eastwood took advantage of a loose ball, on the edge of the Chesterfield area, which he hammered home, to the delight of the travelling support.

With 15 minutes to go, the home side brought Striker Armand Gnanduillet into the game, in the place of Jay O’shea. The substitutes first effort, was a left footed shot, that never troubled Bentley.

To the surprise of many in the stadium, there would be a minimum of six minutes additional time to be played.

With seconds to go, Sam Morsy tried a shot, that forced the visiting goalkeeper to palm it behind for a corner kick. From the resulting corner, the Spireites got a late and dramatic winner, through a header from substitute Gnanduillet, sending the home fan’s into raptures.

A win for Chesterfield although they do not perform at their best.

Spireites boss Paul Cook will be happy with the three points, but will know that an improvement on today’s performance is needed for the game agianst Portsmouth next Saturday.

About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories