Chesterfield FC v Portsmouth Report
4th March 2014
... Comments
Chesterfield draw 0-0 with Portsmouth at the Proact Stadium.
A lack of creativity and a need for quality in the final third were both huge factors in this contest ending goal-less.
Spireites boss Paul Cook named an unchanged side from last Tuesday’s 4-1 win at Cheltenham.
The first real opportunity of the match fell to the visitors’ Jake Jervis, but the striker fired straight at Chesterfield goalkeeper Tommy Lee who palmed the ball onto the post and the danger was ultimately cleared. Toumani Diagouraga unleashed a ferocious effort at goal from the edge of the area that was blocked by Ritchie Humphreys and away for a corner-kick.
Ollie Banks tried his luck from range with a low effort that was held comfortably by Trevor Carson. Jimmy Ryan hoped he could emulate his fellow midfielder with a powerful drive from range, but once again Carson was equal to it.
Dan Gardner took up free-kick duties only 20 yards from goal, but the ex-Halifax man failed to hit the target. Overall, the first-half lacked quality with an even amount of possession for both sides.
After the restart, Gary Roberts latched onto a low pass from Eoin Doyle and fired the ball agonisingly wide of Carson’s post. Jervis broke free of the hosts’ defence, but failed to take advantage of a glorious shooting opportunity.
The second period continued in the same vein as the first, with gilt-edged chances being at a premium. With just over 20 minutes left on the clock, the home side’s Sam Morsy was shown a yellow card for a late challenge on a member of the opposition.
On 71 minutes, Marc Richards replaced Banks. A mere four minutes had passed before Jay O’Shea entered proceedings at the expense of Gardner.
With nine minutes of normal time remaining, Armand Gnanduillet took to the field in place of Doyle. The alterations seemed to inject more vigour into the home side’s play, with Pompey pegged back in their own half of the field.
It was then announced that there would be three minutes of additional time.
Seconds into time added on, the visitors' Jervis was replaced by Patrick Agyemang. The final opportunity of the match fell to the substitute Richards, but the striker directed his headed effort straight at Carson, as Chesterfield capped off an underwhelming performance in front of the television cameras.
About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories