Chesterfield FC v Northampton Town Report
27th November 2013
... Comments
Chesterfield left frustrated as Northampton take a point after a 0-0 draw at the Proact Stadium.
In the opening moments, Armand Gnanduillet created space for a shot but his effort went wide of the target. Several crosses into the Northampton box followed, although Matt Duke was there to intercept.
Ollie Banks was bearing down on goal, but the linesman’s flag was already raised for off-side. With the Spireites enjoying the majority of possession, they failed to muster up a clear goalscoring opportunity.
Jay O’Shea put his effort over the crossbar from the edge of the area. With 25 minutes played, Gnanduillet was booked for dissent.
The away side posed very little threat, with several high passes being caught with ease by Tommy Lee. Stuart Dallas had his shot blocked by the hosts’ defense.
A teasing cross from Gary Roberts was met by Gnanduillet, who put his header high and wide of goal when he should have hit the target. As the first-half drew to a close, neither side looked capable of breaking the deadlock.
The second half began with a slow tempo, as the cobblers maintained possession. Banks’ pass was intercepted when Roberts could have potentially been through on goal.
On 58 minutes, Marc Richards replaced Gnanduillet. Another Dallas effort was blocked by O’Shea and put out for a corner.
The best opportunity of the game fell to the substitute Richards, after an inviting cross from Roberts, but unfortunately his header was mis-timed. A half-hearted volley from Richards was then held comfortably by Duke.
Roberts’ free-kick from range went straight into the arms of Duke. A low shot from Jimmy Ryan was then stopped in it’s path towards goal by visiting goalkeeper Duke.
Joe Widdowson’s effort from an acute angle hit the side netting. The visitors’ appeals for a penalty were turned down after Sam Hird blocked a cross in the area.
The end product in the final third left much to be desired. With five minutes of normal time remaining, Chris Hackett was shown a yellow card for a foul on Roberts.
Mathias Kou-Doumbe headed over the crossbar from close range. It was then announced that there would be five minutes of additional time.
Jamie Devitt was brought onto the field in place of O’Shea, as the game petered out and finished goalless.
This particular game was one of frustration for Chesterfield, although they can be proud to say that it included their sixth clean sheet in seven outings.
About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories