Chesterfield FC v Dagenham & Redbridge Report
30th December 2013
... Comments
Chesterfield held on for a point against Dagenham after suffering the dismissal of Sam Hird in the first-half.
Hird’s sending off came as a result of a late challenge on Rhys Murphy after the striker was bearing down on goal.
The home side took the lead four minutes into the second half after Marc Richards converted from the penalty spot. However, a superb strike from Abu Ogogo ensured a share of the points in this contest.
In the opening moments, Richards had a shot that looked destined for the back of the net until a visiting defender blocked the ball in it’s path towards goal. Tendayi Darikwa’s fierce effort from close range was palmed behind by Lewington.
Scott Doe had a glancing header that just skipped wide of the post. Ian Evatt was judged to have fouled Hines in the area and was subsequently booked. Hines stepped up and put the ball disappointingly wide of the post.
Hird was then shown a red card as the last defender after a foul on Murphy. The resulting free-kick was hit straight at the wall and the danger was cleared.
With 38 minutes on the clock, Darikwa was replaced by Liam Cooper as part of an alteration in formation. On the stroke of half-time, Luke Howell put a glancing header wide of the target from three yards following a cross from Hines.
At the beginning of the second period, Ollie Banks was removed from proceedings for Nathan Smith. On 49 minutes, the home side were awarded a penalty of their own after Brian Saah put a hand on the ball inside the area. Richards stepped up and calmly finished past Lewington.
It only took the away side nine minutes to equalise through Ogogo’s magnificent curling effort from distance that beat Lee to his right-hand side. Moments later, Jay O’Shea replaced Armand Gnanduillet.
On 64 minutes, Dagenham’s Medy Elito took to the field in place of Sean Shields. Eoin Doyle broke free of the visitors’ defence but couldn’t put his effort past Lewington who recieved a hefty knock in the process.
With only 20 minutes left to play, Femi Ilesanmi replaced Jack Connors. A powerful shot from Hines was then blocked well by Evatt inside the area.
Murphy attempted to chip Lee following a Dagenham breakaway, only for the ball to bounce off the post and into the arms of the Chesterfield goalkeeper. It was then announced that there would be five minutes of additional time.
For the duration of time added on, there wasn’t one clear chance to speak of as both teams went away with a point from the last fixture of 2013.
About the Author

Ben Littlewood

Member since: 18th August 2013


Popular Categories