Chesterfield Beaten by Leeds United in the first round of the League Cup
13th August 2013
... Comments

Chesterfield can be delighted with the way they performed against the Championship side. 

Spireites boss Paul Cook named the same side that managed the win at Bury last weekend.

The Spireites started brightly, looking comfortable in possession, with Gary Roberts looking a threat in the final third. Then, on 19 minutes, striker Eoin Doyle met a Drew Talbot cross, and headed straight past goalkeeper Paddy Kenny, giving the visitors’ the lead. At this point, the away side started to dominate the play.

After a rare Leeds attack, the ball fell to Micheal Brown on the edge of the box, and he put his effort straight into the top corner of the net, to level the scoreline. The goal seemed to motivate Leeds, playing with more desire in an effort to achieve possession. Moments later, they took an undeserved lead. A mistake by Ryan Edwards led to Dominic Poleon being through on goal, putting his shot straight past visiting goalkeeper Tommy Lee.

Even with the home side in front, the Spireites retained possession well. Tendayi Darikwa managed to get through the Leeds defence, only for Pearce to clear off the line.

To the dismay of the travelling support, Chesterfield went in behind at the break.

The visitors’ began the second half in the manner that they did the first. Dominating possession and looking the better team. Gary Roberts was brought down on the edge of the box, but believed he was inside at the point of contact. The referee disagreed.

Leeds should have extended their lead even further, only for Smith to steer his header wide of the target, from a teasing Ross McCormack cross. Goalkeeper Lee produced many good saves during the second period, keeping his side in the cup tie. By changing to a 4-4-2 formation, the Spireites went all out attack, in an effort to grab a goal. Talbot had a shot from the edge of the box, but Kenny was equal to it.

With little time left, defender Nathan Smith had the final chance of the game, only for his shot to cannon off the post, and out for a goal kick.

Even though it ended in defeat for Chesterfield, manager Paul Cook can be delighted with his side’s performance.

About the Author

Emma T

Member since: 9th July 2012

Hi I'€™m Emma and I am passionate about all things Chesterfield. I hope you enjoy reading my blogs and find them to be interesting. I would love you to add your personal comments to them

Popular Categories