Brave Spireites Lose In FA Cup
3rd December 2012
... Comments

The Spireites travelled to Tranmere for this 2nd round FA Cup tie, full of confidence after winning their last 3 League games.  Chris Atkinson had gone back to Huddersfield, and scored for them earlier that day against Leeds United.  Jay O'Shea was cup tied, and Brennan Dickenson wasn't allowed to play by his club, Brighton. Clay and Boa Morte both made the starting line-up.  Randall made the bench after recovering from a shin injury. 

The Spireite faithful were again  in great voice and they were really up for this game. Stand Up was happy because he had made his first away match of the season, and a  very friendly football fanatical steward let him stand Up.

Both teams were struggling to string any decent moves together, and get into their rhythm. Richards hit a couple of shots over the bar.  Rovers suffered a blow early on when their skipper went off injured and was replaced by the greatly named Max Power.

Tommy Lee twice denied the young Stockton, with two lovely saves. Whittaker came close with a powerful drive, which Fon Williams managed to push around the post. After 31 minutes a low cross from Boa Morte was met by Cooper who scored to give the Spireites the deserved lead.

It was looking  likely that the Spireites were going to go in at half time with a lead, but it was third time lucky for Stocton who scored from 25 yards out with only 3 minutes of the first half remaining.

H.T.  1-1.

In the 57th minute McGurt put the home side ahead, when he latched onto a ball from O'Halloran. The Spireites made 2 changes bringing Lester and Randall on for Clay who hadn't performed well, missing vital tackles and giving the ball away cheaply, and Whittaker.  These changes altered the formation to a 4-4-2.

Spireites were taking the game to Tranmere, with Randall orchestrating the midfield. The visitors felt they should have had a penalty, when a lovely strike from Richards appeared to hit a hand. Talbot cut inside and ran at the defence before putting his shot wide. Cooper hit a thunderbolt shot just wide.

F.T. 2-1

Sadly the FA Cup dream was over for the Spireites, but they can be very proud of their performance, running the League 1 leaders very close. Cook came out and applauded the fans for their effort and vocal support. My Man of the Match goes to Cooper for another great defensive display and a well taken goal. 

Next up a difficult trip to Port Vale who are currently 2nd in the table. 

About the Author

dean f

Member since: 19th September 2012

I'm a big fan of the Spireites and follow them up and down the Country. I got into writing blogs when I was picked to do a blog for the Derbyshire Times for a year, which I really enjoyed. All the views...

Popular Categories