I have just come back from The Bicester Summit and as a result am excited about what is planned for Bicester in the short medium and long term.
This was an all day meeting and exhibition about the plans for the town over the next 20 years with some interesting stuff happening in less time than that.
THere were representatives from the Town, District and County Councils present, along with Sainsburys, P3Eco who are involved in the development of the Eco Town) and many other representatives of interested local bodies as well as a the keynote speaker Jonathan Shaw MP, Minister for the South East and local MP Tony Baldry. The main participants all seemed to be talking with one voice and with the same objective to improve Bicester and its facilities for the benefit of the residents.
All had plenty of positive thngs to say about the future of Bicester including
- Confirmation from Sainsburys that the Crown Walk Development WILL start "early in the New Year" with the diversion of the 'river'
- the main building works to start in Autumn 2010 and expected completion of Sainburys Supermarket, Cinema, Car Park and some other retail units by November 2011 (in time for Christmas!!)
- the new Apollo Cinema will not only have 7 screens but will also feature one of the first Digital 3D outputs in the country.
- A £3.6 million project to improve Junction 9 of the M40 and plans for a further £7million improvement project in 2011
- A new Theatre space to be developed in the Ex Servicemens Club
- news that the 'cheque was in the post' from central Government with Bicesters share of the £60 million available for the Eco Town Project.
All very positive stuff albeit we will have to live through some big building works with the attendent disruption I came away with the feeling that, in the words exprerssed by Councillor Barry Wood, Now is the Time' for Bicester and we can look forward to a much more facility rich town which has been long coming.
What do you think?
Are you a long term resident of Bicester and have a view as to what is planned for your town?
I am the owner of thebestof Bicester and have been for the past three years. I have lived and worked in the area for 25 years and am keen to 'shout about' the great local businesses we have...