Bassetlaw District Council in Worksop
Bassetlaw District Council - provides high quality and good value services in Worksop and throughout the Bassetlaw area.
The District of Bassetlaw, situated in North Nottinghamshire, boasts thousands of acres of rolling countryside, parkland and ancient woodlands, including Clumber-Park, the most popular visitor attraction in North Nottinghamshire.
Woodlands, charming villages and the Dukeries estates are among Bassetlaw's other attractions.
The ancient market towns of Worksop and Retford are home to nearly 60% of the district’s population of over 110,000 with the remainder of Bassetlaw’s population living in 73 villages, small market towns, former mining communities and very small hamlets.
Bassetlaw is a pleasant place to live, work and enjoy leisure time with a lower cost of living than in nearby cities such as Sheffield or Nottingham.
There are good business opportunities in Bassetlaw with industrial units of all sizes available across the District. These are ideal for businesses needing nationwide distribution and several household names like Wilkinsons, B&Q and Oxo either have head offices, major distribution centres or factories in the district. Robin Hood Airport is just outside the district.
Bassetlaw District is served by Nottingham County Council and Bassetlaw District Council.
Bassetlaw District Council
Bassetlaw District Council provides high quality and good value services to meet the needs of the area’s residents and businesses. These services include housing, refuse collection, planning, benefits, recycling, street cleaning, leisure services and environmental health.
The Council also works in partnership with other public and private organisations such as the police, health, businesses and community representatives to plan, support, encourage or manage other services.
Bassetlaw District Council’s main priorities are:
Improving customer satisfaction with the Council: Keeping residents satisfied is very important to us. Our customer satisfaction levels aren’t as high as we would like them to be and we are committed to improving them.
Regenerate the area and improve the living environment: We believe that everybody in Bassetlaw should have the opportunity to enjoy a quality standard of living. We are committed to making Bassetlaw a district that people want to live in; a district they can be proud of; a district that is clean, green, safe and healthy.
Support a vibrant local economy:Maintaining a vibrant and growing local economy in the district is vitally important. Growth will provide new opportunities for those currently out of work, encourages ambition and champions entrepreneurship. We aim to develop a community with low unemployment, a diverse economy and thriving high streets; a District with strong commercial links, a skilled workforce that encourages inward investment, and a work ethic that promotes prosperity for all.
Improve the quality and choice of housing: Living in a safe, warm and well-maintained home is essential to enjoying a good quality of life. We are committed to bringing all 7000 Council-owned properties up to the decent homes standard by the end of 2013.
Continuing the delivery of high quality and good value services.
Did you know:
· Only 9.7% of the council tax collected by Bassetlaw District Council is kept by us to spend on our services. The rest is distributed to Notts County Council (75.72%) Notts Police Authority (10.16%) and the Fire Authority (4.42%). We recycled and composted nearly 23% of the 40,000 tonnes of collected household waste last year – above our target of 21%
· We manage and maintain one CountryPark, 33 Recreation Grounds and more than 90 open spaces
· Our three Leisure Complexes and Golf Course, managed on our behalf by BPL, receive over 470,000 visits a year
· We provide and empty over 850 litter bins across the district
· Over 25% of the parking spaces we provide in the 12 public car parks in Worksop (1176 bays) are covered by the Safer Parking Awards given by the Police to car parks that have achieved the standards of the Safer Parking Scheme.
· Work begins soon on building the brand new 1000 seater, six-screen Savoy Cinema at the top of Bridge Street in Worksop.
· A brand new fountain pool and an adiZone outdoor gym are operating in the Canch and spearhead a major revamp of the public park.
By 2013 we aim to:
· Work with partners to establish full pedestrianisation of Bridge Street and use the coming of the brand new Savoy Cinema and relocation of the Worksop Market to stimulate business in the town
· Improve the pools, facilities, watercourses, gardens, buildings, CCTV and war memorials in the Canch and link it by footbridge to the new Creative Village affordable housing and commercial development
· Make it easier for people to contact the Council and improve the customer care skills of our staff
· Deliver services to our agreed published standards and improve the customer care skills of our staff
· Improve and expand our current play provision and make play facilities a high priority in any future developments
· Deliver a programme of local business workshops to support innovation in business and encourage new small to medium enterprises (SME’s)
· Improve the security and lighting of car park facilities
· Serve Enforcement Notices to bring derelict buildings back into use
· Work with partners to adopt a zero-tolerance policy on litter, dog fouling, alcohol consumption and illegal parking in our town centres
· Make effective use of empty shops to improve the business environment of the town centre
Please visit http://www.bassetlaw.gov.uk/ for more detailed information about Bassetlaw District Council and its Corporate Plan.
Or contact email@example.com or speak to Sarah Carter on 01909 533473
Please tell Bassetlaw District Council that you found them through The Best of Worksop (Councils Directory)
Bassetlaw District Council – Councils in Worksop
Anston, Barlborough, Bassetlaw, Blyth, Carlton in Lindrick, Clowne, Creswell, Dinnington, Edwinstowe, Gateford, Gildingwells, Harthill, Hodsock, Hodthorpe, Holbeck, Langold, Maltby, North Worksop, Oldcotes, Ollerton, Retford, Rhodesia, Shireoaks, South Worksop, Thorpe Salvin, Wallingwells, Welbeck, Whitwell, Woodsetts, Worksop