Oakwood Academy is a Visual Arts, Technology & Sports College in Eccles, Salford. Teaching secondary year children with complex learning difficulties, the dedicated staff at Oakwood Academy in Greater Manchester ensures every child reaches their maximum potential. To enquire about admission or to arrange a visit, please contact the headteacher.
Visual Arts, Technology and Sports College
In Eccles, near Salford
“Believe and Achieve”
“An Outstanding School” (Ofsted) – the highest possible outcome
As a secondary day special school for children with a range of complex learning and physical difficulties, Oakwood Academy in Eccles, near Salford teaches children aged 11 – 16 years.
With Arts, Technology and Sports Specialist status, Oakwood Academy boasts exceptional facilities and encourages children to reach the highest levels.
To find out more about Oakwood Academy, visit the website to download a copy of the prospectus or call now
0161 921 2880
Recommended by The Best of Salford
Aims of the Academy
Oakwood Academy provides a stimulating, modern and dynamic learning environment and the experienced staff encourage pupils to aim high in all that they do.
The Academy objectives include:
- Providing an imaginative, broad and balanced curriculum
- Encouraging pupils develop effective attitudes towards learning the basic skills;
- To provide a secondary curriculum
- To recognise individual achievements through appropriate certification and awards
- To encourage pupils to be placed in mainstream high schools, whenever possible
- To foster equality of opportunity for pupils in a supportive, learning environment;
- To prepare the pupils for adult life;
- To develop and maintain pupils’ self-esteem and success.
Monitoring and reviewing progress via action plans and regular reviews, Oakwood Academy also develop and establish effective supportive links between the school and the community.
Oakwood Academy offers a challenging and stimulating programme of learning and activities:
As a specialist sports college, Oakwood Academy encourages physical, social and emotional development through Physical Education.
Activities are provided both inside and outside of school in order to build confidence and gain new skills.
During the year, pupils are also given the opportunity to participate in a variety of sporting competitions and events.
Art and Technology
Oakwood Academy is proud of their ‘Specialist Art and Technology’ status and is a member of the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust.
Art and Technology plays a large part of the school curriculum and as such, pupils have opportunities to visit exhibitions, galleries and more.
In addition to traditional art materials, the school has:
- Pottery Wheel
- Darkroom Facility
- Full set of digital cameras
- ICT Graphic Software
Oakwood Academy is also proud of all of the modern classrooms and facilities it has to offer:
- Modern science laboratories
- Specialist art rooms
- Specialist music room
- Specialist ICT room
- Specialist RMT room
- Specialist textiles room
- Specialist food technology room
- A modern sports hall
- A dance studio
- Specialist media & recording studio
- Specific Year 7 foundation area
- Banks of laptops and iPads
- Large number of networked computers with internet access
- Interactive whiteboards in all teaching bases
- A well-equipped library and learning resource area
- An undercover outdoor quiet area
One pupil said:
“I love Oakwood Academy because I like doing the activities and the work, and I really like the teachers”
Providing there are places available within the school, children are admitted following a statutory assessment of special educational needs (SEN) to ensure Oakwood Academy is the most appropriate school to suit them.
If you would like even more information about Oakwood Academy, please call the friendly and helpful staff or visit their website.