Have a read about some of the ways that have been suggested to improve the Guildford area through the Project Proud scheme!read more »
Guildford Borough Council
Guildford Borough Coucil is the local Council for the Guildford area supporting the local economy. As with all UK councils, we are dedicated to offering an efficient and professional resource for the local community.
The borough of Guildford
The borough of Guildford is a major centre for business, culture, education and public administration in the south-east region, very much supporting the local economy. The borough is almost midway between London and the south coast, and around 70 per cent is green belt, with large areas in the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The borough is at the hub of the country’s transport network with a number of important road, air and rail links. Guildford Borough Council is one of 11 district councils in the county of Surrey.
Guildford Borough Council
Guildford Borough Council provides high quality and good value services to meet the needs of residents and businesses in the borough of Guildford. These services include housing, refuse collection, planning, benefits, recycling, street cleaning, leisure services and environmental health. The Council also works in partnership with other public and private organisations such as the police, health, businesses and community representatives to plan, support, encourage or manage other services.
Guildford Borough Council’s main priorities are:
Excellence and Value for Money – Providing efficient, cost-effective and relevant quality
Sustainable Local Environment - Preserving and enhancing a sustainable environment,
both rural and urban, within Guildford Borough.
Safe and Vibrant Community - Ensuring our diverse community can live in safety and with
Dynamic Economy - Encouraging a vibrant business and knowledge based local economy.
Did you know:
- Only 10% of the council tax collected by Guildford Borough Council is kept by us to spend on our services. The rest is distributed to Surrey County Council (75%), Surrey Police Authority (13%) and parish councils (2%)
- We recycled and composted over 39% of the 50,000 tonnes of collected household waste last year – above our target of 34%
- We manage and maintain 11 parks and recreation grounds and 26 countryside sites
- Our Guildford Spectrum leisure complex receives 1.8 million visits a year
- We provide and empty over 500 litter bins and over 350 dog mess bins across the borough
- An average of 3500 visitors enjoy our Guildford Lido on a summer weekend
- Over 90% of the publicly available parking spaces we provide in Guildford are covered by the Safer Parking Awards
- Last year we delivered over 30,000 meals to elderly residents in their own home
By 2012 we aim to:
- Ensure there are 400 new affordable homes built in the borough
- Increase the number of park and ride spaces
- Achieve and maintain the recycling and composting target of 60% of household waste.
Please visit www.guildford.gov.uk for more information about Guildford Borough Council.
Please remember to mention The Best of Guildford when contacting local council Guildford Borough Council – supporting you in the local community.
Guildford Borough Council - one of 11 district councils in the county of Surrey.
© The Best of Guildford
Guildford Borough Council has been working wth local indoor climbing centre Craggy Island to develop a new aerial adventure course in Peacock Wood.read more »
Last week's Olympic Torch Relay in Guildford was a success, writes freelance journalist Claire Dee.read more »
Local businesses should plan ahead for the 2012 Olympics activity, writes freelance journalist Claire Dee.read more »